Skip to main content

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do after booking a European Motorhome Tour?

  1. Look out for the detailed information we will send you via e-mail on traveling in Europe, what to pack etc.

  2. Book a flight to and from Germany. Depending on the tour you need to fly to Frankfurt, Hamburg or Düsseldorf. Please send us your flight details via so we can schedule your pick-up at the airport. We do not include the flights because our tour guests come from all over the USA, Canada and Australia and therefore it makes no sense to include a flight from N.Y. to Frankfurt, for example. But if we may help you with flight arrangements please let us know!

  3. Bring a valid passport, a valid driver’s license and international driver’s license, a credit card with a chip and your PIN code as well as personal items such as medications and clothing.

What about passports, visa, driver’s license?

Each person must have a passport valid at least 6 months beyond your planned return date. Visas are not required for American, Canadian or Australian citizens visiting the countries on our tours for stays less than 90 days within a 180 day period.

Whoever drives the motorhome needs a valid US, Canadian or Australian driver’s license. The rental agencies also require an International Driving Permit to be presented together with your regular driver’s license at the time of the rental pick-up. If you have not obtained it before, you can get it from the major automobile clubs (i.e. AAA or CAA) for a small fee. It translates your license into an internationally standardized format. There is no test required. Please note that the international document does not replace your local license; they are only valid together. It is highly recommended to get the permit for all passengers with a license even if only one of you is planning to drive, just in case.

The rentals usually do not have an automatic transmission. Therefore you should be able to drive a stick shift.

In mid 2025, ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) is expected to launch. This is a new electronic system that visitors from countries that are part of visa-waiver agreements with Europe (referring here basically to the common outside border called the “Schengen Area” that allows free movement between most European countries) will be required to use before entry to Europe.  The system is similar to the US system that visitors to the USA from visa-free countries had to use for many years. Its purpose is to check the security credentials of all visitors prior to entry. There will be a brief online application and a small fee to receive a travel authorization prior to departure. There will still be no visa required for citizens of the United States, Canada and Australia, for example. The United Kingdom is expected to implement a similar system (ETA) by the end of 2024. We will always inform you of the detailed requirements for your travels with us prior to your tour. If you are interested in further information for future travel to Europe under the ETIAS system, please visit:

Should I bring cash, foreign currency or credit cards?

Do not bring foreign currency or cash to change into Euros because you would get the worst exchange rate plus you have to pay an expensive fee. We recommend bringing your credit and debit cards which should have a chip. Cards with a PIN number and a chip can be used at ATMs throughout Europe to obtain cash in the local currency. The most accepted cards are Visa and Mastercard. There is an ATM right at the airport where you arrive and we help you find ATMs everyhwere. You may also want to check with your bank if they are part of international network to allow you to use your Debit Card at favorable conditions. Finally, you should advise your bank or credit card company of your travels and the countries you are visiting.

How much money will I need for fuel?

In Europe the prices for diesel and gasoline are higher than in the USA or Canada. Nevertheless you won’t spend more for fuel on our tours than you would at home because the motorhomes get up to 25 miles to the gallon.

How much money do I have to calculate for daily expenses on the tour?

Since the rental RV, the campground fees, sightseeing tours and entrance fees - as listed in our itineraries - are already included in the tour price, you will spend money for buying food, diesel or souvenirs. Some meals in fine restaurants are included in the tour price, too. The prices for groceries are similar to the prices at home. Restaurants are usually more expensive, but in most of the countries you tip only €1-2 or 5-10% depending on the bill. On some tours there will be cash toll roads (approx. €50-€150), but all other tolls are included.

How do we communicate within the caravan?

We provide you with a handheld radio for the duration of the tour and exchange cell phone numbers, just in case.

How many RVs are in the caravan?

There will be two staff vehicles and not more than 10 guest motorhomes, but usually less.

What facilities are at the campgrounds?

The campgrounds where we stay all have good showers and restrooms. Some of them have a swimming pool; most of them have a little restaurant and a small grocery store.

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag, sheets and towels?

No, we will equip the rentals with bedding, sheets, towels, dishes, camping chairs and so on. Just bring your personal items such as clothing, your medication, and a camera.

Is there walking involved?

Yes. Since we won’t have any tow cars with us we will sometimes use public transportation. Most of the time there is a bus stop right in front of the RV park, sometimes we have to walk up to 1/3 of a mile to the bus or street car station. Often we will get taxis to bring us from the RV park as close as possible to the sights or we hire our own coach. However, the old town centers and sights are usually in pedestrian-only zones. Therefore we will have to walk to see the sights. In these medieval centers we often have to walk a short distance on cobblestone alleyways and sometimes climb up stairs. The duration of the guided walking tours is usually 1 ½ to 2 hours and we have to walk approximately 1 mile during this time. To visit the castles you might have to walk about 5 minutes through a park to get to the entrance. Inside the castles are often stairways.

Are there laundries?

Most campgrounds have washing machines and often dryers. We are there to help you to operate them! They are more expensive than in the USA. There are always sinks where you can wash laundry by hand. In European campgrounds you can dry your laundry on a clothesline outside.

What time do we start in the morning?

Depending on the itinerary between 8 and 9 AM. If we have to be on time for a ferry ride (UK and Greece tours) we may start earlier.

Do we drive on the Autobahn? How fast do we drive and how many miles a day?

Driving on the Autobahn is pretty much like driving on an interstate. Different is that on the Autobahn there is a lower speed limit for trucks (not for our motorhomes) and there are many parts where trucks are not allowed to pass. The far right lane is for slowly moving vehicles, the far left lane for the fastest. Do not pass another vehicle on the right. We usually drive 60-65 mph when we are on the Autobahn but very often we go on local roads anyway. The average miles of driving are 60 to 150 miles a day. We have frequent stops for rest and taking pictures. We do not drive every day.

Do the rental RVs come with an automatic transmission?

No, the European motorhomes very seldom have an automatic transmission. They usually come with stick shifts. Even if it is probably many years ago that you drove a stick shift car you won't have any problem to drive your rental RV and to shift gears.

What about GPS?

We will equip your rental RV with a GPS with the pre-programmed locations of our RV parks and other stops. If you prefer to use your own GPS please remember to get European maps for it.

How about Wifi access?

Many campgrounds now offer Wifi, sometimes for free and sometimes for an hourly or daily fee. The quality and speed does vary, however. In most of the cities an increasing number of restaurants and bars offer Wifi as well. You can also check with your cell phone provider if they have an international roaming option for your data plan.

Can I use my electrical appliances?

Electric power in Europe is 220 Volts. For American standard 110V appliances you need a transformer that converts the voltage from 220V to 110V and a plug adapter to use a European socket. However, today most devices you will need (such as a cell phone or laptop charger) work on dual voltage so you really only need a socket adapter kit.

Can I keep the rental motorhome for some more days or weeks after the tour?

If you want to extend the rental period just let us know in advance and we will arrange it for you.

Is the insurance for the rental motorhome included?

Yes, the motorhome is insured for liability with unlimited coverage for personal injury and property damage or loss, and full vehicle collision coverage with €1,500 deductible per accident and per comprehensive damage claim.